| Original Motion |
| Member (Delesdernier, Mike) Moved, Member (Dale, Larry) seconded to approve the Original motion 'RECOMMENDATION: |
The Superintendent recommends the:
1) merger of the current Rillieux and Cherbonnier student bodies to be located on the Cherbonnier campus with the school to be named Lucille Cherbonnier/Norbert Rillieux Elementary. A turnaround like model will be employed on this campus beginning with the 2012/13 school year.
2) reassignment of students at Kate Middleton to William Hart Elementary and Terryown Elementary.
3) merger of the current Homedale and McDonogh student bodies to be served on the McDonogh 26 campus with the school to be named McDonogh 26/Homedale Elementary.
4) relocation of St. Ville to the Ehret campus continuing its mission as the St. Ville Connections Program at Ehret.
5) relocation of Bunche to the Bonnabel campus continuing its mission as the Bunche Connections Program at Bonnabel.
6) merger of the current Waggaman and Westbank Community school student bodies to be located at he current Westbank Community School facility. The school will retain its current name.
7) physical closure of the Maggiore campus and the reassignment of is students to the Clancy site, G. T. Woods, and Green Park as described in Appendix C.
8) reassignment of most students now attending Clancy (except for walkers and bus riders for the arts program) to Audubon, G. T. Woods, Hazel Park, and Washington as described in Appendix C. The Clancy facility will be named John Clancy/Joseph Maggiore Elementary.
9) boundary changes to relieve overcrowding at Alexander elementary as described in Appendix D.
10) boundary changes to relieve overcrowding at Birney Elementary as described in Appendix D.
11) boundary changes to relieve overcrowding at Estelle Elementary and the corresponding conversion of Ellender Middle into a kindergarten through eighth grade facility. The school would be named Allen Ellender Elementary. (Appendix B)
12) boundary changes associated with the conversion of Ellender into an elementary school involving the reassignment of some Ellender students to Truman, some Truman students to Worley, and some Worley students to Ford. (Appendix B)
Admittedly, closure/consolidation and boundary changes are very sensitive topics. For the most part, the public hearings revealed strong ties and connections to the recommended schools. However, the reality facing our district indicates that adjustments are necessary. Unfortunately, our school district is underperforming with a serious budget shortfall on the immediate horizon. As budgets become tighter, the question becomes can we truly afford to continue paying the expenses associated with low student performance in schools with relatively low enrollment. Great care was taken to preserve our higher performing schools and to assign students in currently underperforming schools into better situations that would raise the odds in their favor in terms of student achievement. Of the 46,136 students currently enrolled in our district, 2,512 or 5.4% will be affected by closure, consolidation, or boundary changes.
Each school recommended for closure or consolidation is recognized by the Louisiana Department of Education as a "D" or "F" school. While there are such things as high "D" or "F", our district now has much higher expectations for each of its schools regardless of circumstances. The immediate goal of our school system is to have no school classified as "D" or "F". The long-term expectations are to have all schools categorized as an "A" or "B" school and to have our district on sound financial footing.'. Upon a Roll-Call Vote being taken, the vote was: Aye: 8 Nay: 1.
| The motion (XXXXXX) 8 - 1 |
| || |
| Dale, Larry || Yes |
| Delesdernier, Mike || Yes |
| Denapolis, Sandy || Yes |
| Floyd, Cedric || No |
| Jacobs, Mark || Yes |
| Licciardi, Etta || Yes |
| Morgan, Mark || Yes |
| St. Pierre, Ray || Yes |
| Tovrea, Pat || Yes |